Friday, June 12, 2009

My Heart's in Their Window

To most of you the following picture may seem a strange one to have taken but I want this picture forever etched in my mind and my heart, and I am pretty sure it is. This is a tradition. A visit to Dad and Judy's doesn't seem complete if they aren't standing in the window to see us off with a wave (or when it's a beautiful day like last evening, to come stand on the front lawn to do the same).

My beautiful granny used to do the same thing; she would stand in her big bay window in the kitchen and watch as we disappeared, and now the tradition has continued and it is one of those things that has become so very important to me and to my children. If Pa and Grandma aren't in that window when we are buckled and ready to go, we hear panick induced rants that go something like this, "We can't go yet!!! They aren't in the window!!! You have to wait!!!"...

...and sometimes the kids join me...

2 comments:

Debi said...

Reading this entry truly moved me. It told a lot about your family. This is a beautiful tradition, and one that your children are witnessing, and perhaps follow along with in their years to come.

Simply lovely!

Louise said...

My mom always rushes to the window the minute someone leaves too... I'm not sure what she does at the Lodge but everywhere she has lived has been the same... then when she lost her sight she still continued to go look out the window ..as if trying to get that last glimpse in case she could never see again.. or maybe it is in case we pass away or something. I've never known why but I DO find myself doing it more since my 30 year old nephew passed away almost a month ago.
And I remember your grandma looking out her window as well.