Wednesday, July 27, 2005

People's Perceptions

I am finding it quite amusing that someone who only knows me from work and who has only seen me with my kids on 2 occassions thinks my children are spoiled. Now I, by no means, am saying they are perfect but...

If being spoiled means they do their fair share of chores that they don't get paid for...then they are spoiled.

If being spoiled means that if they want the more expensive pair of jeans, that we don't have the money for so we get them to work the difference off...then they are spoiled.

If being spoiled means that they don't get hundreds of dollars spent on them at Christmas times, birthdays or for school clothes...then they are spoiled.

If being spoiled means that they have strict rules that they must follow or get disciplined in various manners (such as priveleges taken away, writing reports on what they have done wrong, groundings, working off time owed or money owed...)...then they are spoiled.

If being spoiled means they do not get away with talking back to myself or Bill or being rude to their brothers, sisters, teachers or friends...then they are spoiled.

If being spoiled means having good work ethic, a strong sense of community, a willingness and desire to volunteer and making honor roll grades...then they are spoiled.

If what I described above makes my kids spoiled...then I am glad to say that my kids ARE spoiled!!!

I guess it all depends on people's perceptions. I believe she thinks the kids are spoiled because I have looked hard for Strawberry Shortcake stuff for Hallie for school. Why? Because Hallie helps us out a lot and most times we can't afford to give our kids much of an allowance...sometimes none...so why can't we get them stuff that is a little extra special when it is stuff that they need. Yes, I got Hallie a SS backback but it was the same price as the backpacks with no characters on them...maybe $2 more. The number one thing for me to note on her perceptions is this, she has no children of her own and don't they that don't think they can so much better than they that do? I am wondering how confident she will be when she has her own children. I wonder if she will think back and still think my children are spoiled.

3 comments:

tanby said...

perhaps she thinks that cuz you spend time with your shildren, and they are well dressed, clean, and obviously well loved that everything you do is for your kids. If this is spoiling them then she is right-they are spoiled. It amazes me that if your kids are well taken care of how some people view that as spoiled. In my humble opinion, spoiling is only when you give in to every whim,and spend more than you can afford on clother, toys, activities. I say if you can afford to why not give your kids and your self the best. This shows that if you work hard you can eventually get all the stuff you want. as long as you don't take it for granted or set yourself short on neccessities. once again- just my opinion
T.

Lauralea said...

Keep on spoiling them, then, I say! Sounds like you're doing a marvelous job. We try to spoil our 4 in very much the same ways. Doesn't always make them happy, but they ARE becoming well adjusted people, with good senses of humour and a pretty good grasp of reality.

Love Mom said...

Thanks for all the kind words, guys...er, ladies. Your thoughts are precisely what I thought. I wasn't upset or hurt by her comments, maybe a little upset because she was just judging us.

My thoughts completely concure with what R. said, they that don't, think they can better than they that do.

Thanks for stopping by Laura. It was nice to see you popping by my blog; I lurk at yours quite often.