Saturday, July 30, 2005

Motherhood

There are 3 girls at work who are expecting babies, young girls. None of them are married; one is planning to be in September and this was sort of an oops in the meantime, I guess but, I digress. It just got me to thinking about motherhood and all the joys, sorrows and inconveniences that come with it. I have been a teenage mom; it wasn't all fun and games like most young girls think but they will find out for themselves how much work and stress a child adds to your life.

I started out this blog making a list of things I will enjoy about my life when my kids are gone and the list just didn't seem that long or important really. I will share with you what I got as far as a list but trust me, while 2 of them(# 2 and #1) I will love, I think there will be a bittersweetness to it (I will think back to the times when one of the kids ran into the bathroom just to tell me they were hungry or wanted a toy or a bath, you now those life or death things that can't wait for two minutes while I have a pee and I think I will miss it. Right now I crave that privacy but I think I will miss it.) Some might say a simple solution to this would be lock the door; ah, yes, easy enough but then you get the knocking on the door to be let in and the knocking is so hard that you can see the door push in...that would be from the baby and the screaming at you from the other side because voices don't carry through wood, right? LOL. So, anyway, here is my little list.

3. Not stepping on blocks or matchbox cars that have been left in the middle of the floor when I come home from work.
2. Getting dressed without having every child in the house come barging in.
1. Going to the bathroom by myself.

I think a better list is what I enjoy about being a mom.

1. I love hearing them call my name (although my heart breaks if they call it out of sadness or fear).
2. I love seeing them look up at me and smile with love & trust.
3. I love hearing them say "I love you".
4. I love seeing them accomplish things (whether it be a fist step, getting over a fear, finally figuring out long division or riding their bike by themselves).
5. I love watching them do something they have spent an entire year practicing for. I bawl everytime I see the kids in a dance recital, a Christmas concert, receiving an honor roll award at school. I feel such a sense of pride and an overwhelming sense of love at these moments.
6. I love watching them discover new things or something new about old things.
7. I love looking at them when they are sleeping and seeing how peaceful, happy and angelic they appear.
8. I love eating mini carrots, apples and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch because some 4 year old wanted to make her mom lunch and that is all she could make (plus I think she made me pickles with ranch dressing...shudder).
9. I love having them crawl up & curl up beside me to watch a movie or read a book or to go on an imagination vacation.
10. I love watching them grow up to see what kind of person they become, what kind of life they lead and what happens to meet them on their path. I also hate this one because it means letting go. I have gotten to experience this at a lot younger age than anyone I have met so far, as I had to endure the "let go" and "let be gone" when Billy left last year and I had just turned 30.
11. I love hearing them pray a heartfelt prayer to God, all the time but especially the very first time they do it.

Oh something else I love, is when my kids remind me that I am not as old as I think I am. Just recently Jenn had to remind me that I was turning 31 this summer not 32. For some reason I figured I all ready was, not like one year makes a heck of a differnce when discussing the age of 31 or 32. Still, makes ya feel good for a little while.

So this list was a lot easier to make and could be a lot longer but, I need some sleep as it is 2:30 in the morning. These are just the ones that popped into my head right now.

I love being a mom; I think it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is different being a 'mom' to someone who is only 11 or even 13 years younger than me, at times feels a bit odd but I'm so glad I am. I don't think I would change that for anything either.

No comments: