Thursday, June 09, 2005

Seeing Spots

About 3 weeks ago Aren developed a very bad case of the chicken pox. Hallie fretted, fumed and prayed that she wouldn't get them because she had dance recital and she never got them. Today as I sat in a pile of toys that didn't belong in Aren's room and sorting through everything where the tornado hit (well, it must have been a tornado...), Hallie approached me telling me she had a question for me.
Sure! Go ahead, honey. What would you like to know?
What IS this, Mom?
Um, let me see....Ah. It looks like you are getting the chicken pox.
(With tongue stuck out...) They're on my tongue too, Mommy. (Just a note: no, they're not on her tongue. Aren had some on his tongue at the tail end of the "pops" and she just figures they should be there. She's not quite understanding that no, you dont want them on your tongue.)

Hallie is not a great one for scratching. She has had a mosquito bite between her eyes since the mosquitos showed their stinking, stinging mugs this spring. Why? Because she is constantly scratching it and picking at it. She is a chronic scratcher when she is sleeping and has made herself bleed where there was nothing in the first place. I am not really looking forward to her having the chicken "pops". Maybe I'll invent some type of child chicken pop restraint mitts or something. Maybe....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just got through the chicken "pops" too (Andrew's quote). Lots of scratch cures out there.... We gave Ben liquid Benadryl and that helped the itching a LOT. Was also told about putting some oatmeal in a pantyhose sock-type-thing, tying it shut tightly at both ends and putting it in the bath tub with them. Makes your water dirty but oatmeal is supposed to help the itch! Did it a couple times with Ben. Andrew more said that they hurt and he didn't itch at all, really. Good luck keeping your sanity! The hardest part for me was being housebound and trying to keep them away from their neighbor friend.

Love Mom said...

Aren really enjoyed the oatmeal bath. He had his long enough ago that we just started to think that perhaps Hallie wasn't going to get them this time around. I guess you never know. Aren was brave and he handled them well and without many tears (from Aren or dad). I'll keep you posted on Hallie's pops.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Hallie. I told Ben that I wanted to take a picture of him and his spots - he said yes I could, but that it would have to be "a sad picture..." and it is! On the other hand, Andrew was very pleased to pose the Pops Pose and looks like he thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair!

Love Mom said...

I took "phase" pictures of Aren throughout the whole thing: oatmeal baths, calomine lotion, everything. I said "What, we have to scrapbook it. It can't be full of just the good stuff." I will do the same for Hallie whether he laughs at me or not...

Anonymous said...

Those darn spots weren't too much fun in my house either! Cailyn, like Hallie, is a scratcher! We were getting out of the car today at WalMart (he, he)and she starts sobbing, "I'm bleeding" (This after I told her not to pick). She then says, "I'll get a tissue from A'Donald's that'll make it stop, eh, mom?" I said "Sure, honey" and headed for my store.
Cailyn still has lots of spots, actually. I am a little worried cause she still has so many. Kaden had them after her and has virtually none. Go figure, my kids are even opposite in "pox points!"