Thursday, June 16, 2005

It's a Girl Thing

Tonight I got to spend some time with a friend of mine. We went for supper, did some shopping, realized our moms are a lot alike in ways and so are our husbands. We laughed at each other's stupid jokes and just had some nice time where we didn't have to worry about what our kids were into or listening to them whine about wanting to go home or what ever.

With my work schedule I don't get to do this very often and often have to take turns with different friends throughout the month so that we get one on one time. There are two very important people in my life I don't get too spend much time with at all. One is my oldest and dearest friend; she lives an hour plus away but that's not much of an excuse. Our schedules always seem to conflict and I miss her so very much. We met in the hospital when we gave birth to our first children as teenage moms. We've been through a lot of tough times and a lot of garbage together and I love her and, like I said, miss her so very much.

The other is my sister, well, sister in law but in my heart she is my sister and my friend. They live 45 minutes away on a farm and with both our schedules it seems so hard to find the time. We've gone through a lot of junk together as well but we always laugh and have fun when we can get together. I know that she is and will always be there for me and I hope she knows the same of me.

This wasn't intended to be some mushy little post. I had a lot of fun tonight but my thought process lead me down this road for some reason. Perhaps so that I can see I am really fortunate when it comes to my "girls". I have a couple friends I know really well, a few I am trying to get to know better and a few that I know would be there if I ever needed them. They have my back so to speak. I used to feel pretty alone and prayed for God to send me friends. Well, He did and I have to say He sent some pretty good ones for me. Each friend I have seems to complete some part of me: the silly me, the spiritual me, the serious me, the outraged me, the confused me, the artistic me, the wild me...the list is seemingly endless.

I am suddenly reminded of that little Girl Guide or Girl Scout poem (not that I was one)

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
And the other gold.

It all comes back to jewelry...it must be a girl thing...just kidding.
To my girls, every single one of you and you all know who you are; I love you and I thank God for you. Keep on keepin' on.

2 comments:

Spin Original said...

M, 1:54am! WOW!

Angela, like I told you the other day, "It's time for our yearly date!" I know that life is crazy and everyone is always busy, but I do cherish you. We really need to go out...

Love Mom said...

Maureen, what are you doing up so late? At least I can provide you with some late night reading material. I have added some new stuff for you to read when you are on here at 2 AM tonight...