Thursday, June 09, 2005

Brace Face

All right, all right. I heard that often enough growing up. I also heard worse; people, kids can be so cruel when it comes to that kind of thing. Where am I going with this? Am I about to talk about how cruel and disrespectful children are to their peers and elders for that matter? No, not at all. Simply put, the title of this entry set me off on a bit of a tangent. Now, now I am okay and will continue with my original thought process.

Cherish had an orthodontist appointment today. She's off at Christopher camping but we went as it was a consultation regarding the need for braces etc. The dental assistant brought in Cherish's file and the paperwork for the bill (she needed a trolley...just kidding). We had an excellent discussion on the overcrowding in Cherish's mouth and the fact that she has an overjet of 4 mm and they only like 1-2 mm. She then discussed what options we have for when we sign our children over as collateral. Yikes!! $5000.00!!! Ay Karumba! For as little as $150/month for 20 months and a downpayment of a low, low $1100.00 Cherish can get her teeth centered (apparently they are off center and yes, I admit they don't line up), 3 of them pulled out (for an extra cost at our regular dentist) and braces put on to move her teeth to fill the gaps made by her 3 extractions and apparently it will also fix this overjet.

I had braces for 2 years because I had overcrowding as well and I had an overjet. Correction, I have an overjet (the things you learn when you pay attention in the dental offices: an overjet is similar to an overbite and most people say they have an overbite when it is the other.). The braces DID straighten my teeth; they were really crooked but honestly, they did nothing for the other. NOTHING!

I think we will be holding off for a few years if we decide to do this; I mean, we asked them and they said straight out not having braces will not affect Cherish's dental health; they will make her smile prettier. Honestly, we can't afford it. Bill has some coverage (we'll find out how much and make a final decision later) and we all ready know that we can't count on David who is supposed to pay half of her medical and dental but so far as only paid $130 on a $700 dental bill. Perhaps we can start saving now, call it a brace account if you will. I guess we'll just have to see what the future holds.

2 comments:

Spin Original said...

Boy, does that ever suck, eh? How does Cherish feel about it? Does she want the "prettier smile" or is she fine with what she has?
I had a plastic thing one time for my jaw cause I have some temporal mandibular joint syndrome thing (Also known as TMJ - easier to write that way) I should still have something for my jaw, but no one seems to know what...
I was told to stop chewing gum and eating big things like subs, but that is hard to do...

Love Mom said...

We haven't been able to talk to her just yet as she has been camping and doesn't come home until this afternoon. However, reflecting on other conversations we have had, I think she will be fine with what she has for now anyway. She has a hard enough time at school with being teased because she is a Christian so I don't know if she wants to add to their ammo right now.