Sunday, October 16, 2005

Simplicity...it's a good thing...(how'd ya like my Martha Stewart reference, D...?

This post started off with me reading this written by my dear friend, Dixie. I found my head nodding in agreement with her over and over and over. I too find myself being affected by the cleanliness and/or chaos in my house and I also find myself overwhelmed by it at times thinking there is no way I can get it clean so why bother or, I just don't even know where to begin (so I don't). With 6-9 people living in our house from one week to another, chaos here is just a fact of life and I keep trying to come up with ways to control that chaos. It is difficult when you get that many people's belongings in one house with not much storage and I have been trying to utilize many different organizational strategies. Unfortunately, my ideas are usually great in theory but are rarely applied by most of the occupants (including myself). Slowly but surely things are coming along and hopefully they will stay that way. We have gotten our living room painted, put up some shelves and a nice book case and it has managed to stay relatively clean-the odd toy here and there but I can handle that. Our next room is Aren's; we bought the paint tonight but I am unsure of when it will get painted, perhaps next weekend. If we can get that room organized...that makes 2. The upstairs bathroom will be after that and it is funny how a coat of paint and a few containers can make such a difference...

The other thing I agree with Dixie about wholeheartedly is the stay-at-home mom thing. There is no feeling in the world greater than that of holding my son who has not slept in 3 days due to agonizing pain in his mouth (complete with blisters on his tongue...guesses to what it could be?) and having him fall fast asleep in my arms, with his little baby breath warm against my cheek, and the smell of his baby soap invading my nose. Also there is no feeling greater than finding the one nutritional thing he can eat right now without it hurting his mouth (yogurt). Watching your children overcome their fears with your help leaves you feeling incredible and having them cling to you in a hug that says nothing but love as they whisper in your ear that they love you with their whole heart is second to none. The only thing that will top that feeling is the day I hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant." Hands down, the only thing better.

There is goodness in watching your child realize the difference between pink and red or recognize their own name written on their coloring page. There is goodness in feeling your child relax as he/she feels safe in your arms. There is goodness in those small, simple every day things that we sometimes are too busy to enjoy, that we sometimes take for granted and are overlooked. I think it is time for us all to enjoy those simple moments: dunking oreos in a tall glass of milk with your children, jumping in mud puddles (or almost season appropriate, making snow angels), taking a nice long walk in a rain shower or layingin the sun watching the leaves fall from the trees...there is something so beautiful in simplicity.

1 comment:

tanby said...

hi. whats wrong with Arens mouth?
hope everyone is doing fine. talk to you soon. love T