Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Random things from today

Today was an odd sort of day, not in a bad way but in a weird way. Just because of all the different things that have happened today.

First thing this morning we found out that the Mill is closing in January; what a difference that will make in our town. Families will be leaving, small/independent companies will be shutting down, local businesses will lose (I think) a lot of business and the housing market is going to be very low come Spring. (A good thing for some of us.) Needless to say, the town has been buzzing about this all day; for the first time since I can remember it is the first time our entire community has had something to talk about and is all they talk about(other than tragedies like 9-11 and Columbine). Jenn said that this was pretty much the only topic of conversation in her classes today.

Hallie has not been sleeping well lately; she's been having bad dreams and, to use her words, "freaking out". To help ease the freaking out I have moved a light I got from my old secret sister (aka Paula) that flashes different colors but isn't bright enough to keep her or Rush awake (a psychadelic night light so to speak). The big dark circles under her eyes each morning scream at me how tired she is and the fact that all she wants to do after lunch is lay down on the couch to watch a movie and "rest" is an even bigger indication. We went though this when Billy first left and went to Kansas. She has even started wetting the bed again however, this is not a nightly occurance right now. It has happened twice during really bad "bad dream" nights.

The fog this morning was unbelievable! On the walk to the school, the kids and I had to be very, very careful of traffic. We couldn't see them at the best of times and then there were the yahoos who didn't put their lights on. I dug out more winter jackets and discovered that Aren's was in need of serious repair. Upon inspecting it a bit more closely I discovered that it was probably a better investment to go buy a new one than to get this one fixed. We have snowsuits but Bill & I both figured that he needs a jacket that can be worn now and will be warm enough to put on him if we just have to run out during the winter instead of strapping him a snowsuit all the time. Aren & I found a really cool jacket that Bill would have loved...Toronto Maple Leafs hockey jacket, however, I can not justify spending $50 on a jacket just because it has a maple leaf on it. (perhaps this is the evidence to show you all that I am not an avid hockey fan. I know 3 men who will probably skin me for not getting this jacket.) Before they throttle me though, Aren DID get a hockey jacket. At the back of his new coat there is a hockey emblem of some sort so you can only be half mad at me and this jacket was on for 25% off only costing me $25.

During this excursion I discovered that Aren really likes the beat to that Gwen Steffani song that goes "If I were a rich girl na na na na nananananananaa....". He was singing the " na na na na" part today when we heard it in the mall, puckered up his lips, bobbed his head and did some sort of a dance that was too, too funny for words. I only hope he does it again so I can capture it on videotape because it would be great bribery footage and/or wedding video material.

Reflecting on my last statement I wonder if all moms view their children's lives this way: Take a goofy picture and all the while think in the back of their heads how great it will look blown up into poster size and sitting at the head table of said child's wedding?

Bill is really a workaholic; I now have proof. He has just spent the last 16 hours at work(regular shift and scheduled overtime) and they called him in to fix something else so he has chosen to bring breakfast, a blanket and a pillow. I am officially a work widow...

Speaking of Bill & work, I can also call him a nerd and not feel bad about it at all. While on the phone with whoever called my house at 11:00 pm to tell him about this urgent work at the hospital, Bill says 'hang on while I get a pen and paper'. Well, I laughed so hard I almost cried and almost fell off the couch; Bill's "pen" and "paper" were his stylus and palm pilot. And one word filled the air as everyone read this...NERD!!!!!!!!

Bill is also fairly certain that he doesn't want to take that other job now as it will also be affected by the Mill closing. His last thoughts on it were that he will stay right where he is. So I am ending this post as I started it, with the same thoughts that are consuming our community and surrounding area...The Mill. (on a funny note: Cherish wondered if the Mill shutting down meant we would have no more paper...I should have played along and told her that it does and she needs to go out and start collecting leaves so that we can continue to do our "paperwork"...)

No comments: