Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Grandparents: The Magical People in Our Lives

I had a very close relationship with my grandparents, on my dad's side. As I have mentioned on here before, we lived in the same yard so they were like a second set of parents to me, only different. They seemed magical. The way my grandpa's eyes sparkled when he was playing jokes on us or the way my grandma always made time for us and had an endless supply of hugs and kisses. My grandfather on my mom's side was always a joker...and a tickler but always magical. We didn't really know my grandma all that well.

Both of my sets of grandparents have passed away now and I miss them so much, from time to time. I was lucky enough, however, to get 2 new sets of grandparents as my mom and dad remarried. My step-grandfathers have both passed on since but, we have come to love them as we did our biological grandparents.

My Grandma H is in the hospital. She has been losing weight, 20 pounds in the last few months, and has recently discovered a lump in her abdomin. Today she was at the doctor's getting tests done and they have informed the family that she has cancer, Lymphoma (sp) to be exact. It is not cureable but it is treatable so, they will be operating on her to remove this lump. Please keep her in your prayers as she goes through this and the recovery.

Rush was having a hard time of it this evening before going to bed. I understand why; it is hard when you are 12 to understand the whole life/death thing, some adults still have a hard time with it. It is hard wondering if you are going to lose that magical person you love so much.

Here's to all the magical people in your life; make sure you don't take advantage of the fact that they are still around. Take the time to visit them, listen to them, maybe even sit down and find out your family history or fun stories about things from your past, their past...enjoy their magic while you can...

1 comment:

tanby said...

just a brief update on GG i saw her last night at the hospital and she looks better than i expected. she is bright and very clear headed, just really thin and weak. also scared...she has never had any kind of surgery b4 so this is a big shock for her. take care and i'll keep you posted as i know more
T