Thursday, February 26, 2009

He carries MY picture in His wallet

That is how some people view it; isn't it?



Take a look over this; I would love to hear what you think about this viewpoint.

"Many of us have a driving need to have someone tell us we are good. We want to hear someone say our desires are good, all of our past decisions and motives were good. What better person to say, "You are a good boy or girl," than God himself?...I pulled into an intersection one night and just happened to look over at what was to my left. In the car next to me was a person I knew from church. He and I were always joking with each other, so I signaled him to roll down his window while we waited for the light to change.

He looked interested, like I was about to say something important. A second before the light turned green I yelled out the window, "God loves me more than you! He carrieds my picture in his wallet!" I laughed, the light changed and I drove off. Yep, that's the God my absurd religion believes in. He is the God who carries all of our pictures in his wallet and just can't wait to show us off to the relatives.

Behind all this encouraging talk you won't find real answers. Nevertheless, because needy people want to hear reassuring words they keep coming to church, and they support the ministry that makes them feel better. The system creats a co-dependency. Instead of offuring a cure, ministers are feeding the need that keeps the people coming back for more.

Jesus didn't use the language of Freud. when he came face to face wiht a need his words were often sharp and to the point. He would often say something like this: Ears be open! Spirit be gone! Be made whole! Jesus allowed no one to stay in a victim mentality. His words cured, delivered, and brought life. Jesus cared deeply for humanity-but he was not a humanist.

Jesus was loving, but strict. He told people to love God with all of their hearts, souls, and strength. Wow! That's different from the stuff we hear today from the pulpits."

My Absurd Religion by Which I Make My Living by Pastor Steve Gray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that. For far too long I've been looking for affirmation from people -- who will always misjudge me. And finally now I'm recognizing that my only need is to understand God's love for me.

Thanks, Ang.