Friday, February 27, 2009

Can you see the difference? I can't see the difference? IS there a difference?

In this book I am reading "My Absurd Religion by Which I Make My Living" by Pastor Steve Gray he talks about a conversation he had while in the drawing board stage of his award winning TV show. He was asked what the target audience for the show would be, Christian or non-Christian. Here are his thoughts on that as stated in the book.

"That was a tough one to answer because, in reality, Christians and non-Christians these days are not that different. They all believe that self-analysis brings understanding, and understanding brings light. They all believe what they choose to believe so they can feel better about themselves. What's the difference? Church people may talk differently than people who don't go to church, but they don't think differently. Everybody is self-absorbed.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not opposed to feeling better. Who doesn't want to feel better? What I don't like is that my absurd religion has capitalized on the self-centeredness of society to benefit itself. It gives people a deceptive sense of what Christianity is about...Psychoanalysis has its place, but not in religion - at least not in the religion called Christianity. It makes ministers say absurd things from the pulpit."

No comments: