Sunday, February 18, 2007

BDs Mongolian Barbeque aka the place where my lost 10 pounds found me

A smidge apprehensive BigB & I agreed to go to this place with the kids for lunch and boy, are we glad we did! It has now been added to the list of must-do's on a trip here.

At first glance I was reminded of the Bonanza restaurants as there are 2 buffet tables complete with sneeze guards. There is, however, a HUGE difference!

You grab a bowl from one end of the buffet, pick through your choice(s) of raw meats and seafoods, a variety of fresh vegetables, noodles, about 10 different sauces and 6 different spices. After you've piled your bowl with as muc as the above as it will hold you make your way to a corner in the back of the room. Here you will find 4-6 young men with swords who cook your meal on a circular grill in front of you. While these boys were cooking our food, stirring it up with swords, we were completely entertained as we listened to them singing some oldies tunes or while they were exchanging banter about what to get their girlfriends for Valentine's Day & completely enjoying their job.

Due to my seafood allergies I didn't get to see them cook mine but as I waited I watched them cooking and listened to and laughed at these boys as they carried on.

For $10.50 each we got unlimited trips to the create your own meal bar, salads, soups, rice and tortillas. The grill they cooked our food on was about 8 feet across.

This is what I created and what resulted in those rascally 10 pounds finding their way back to my midsection:

beef, red cabbage, noodles, garlic, baby corn, bean sprouts, sweet and sour sauce, yellow squash and zucchini.

BigB's creation (his first but his favorite):

mongolian ginger sauce, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp crushed red chilis, 1 tsp cajun spice, beef, pork, lamb, shrimp, crab, yellow squash, zucchini, green pepper and bean sprouts.


To be honest and to be fair, I highly doubt this place was the reason my lost poundage found me again; I was only able to eat one helping and 1 small bowl of salad. I think it was also the visit to Red Robin with its unlimited fries and Freckle Juice, the trip to Chilis, Bob Evans, Jack Stack Barbeque, Krolls or the many truck stops we took advantage of on the way there

No comments: