Sunday, November 06, 2005

Oh, the places you'll go. Oh, the things you will do...

As a parent, we find joy in some of the most bizzare things. Parents can have conversations with other parents that non-parents just wouldn't understand or enjoy. How many conversations have you had with other parents (moms) about poop color, poop texture, poop frequency, techniques in relieving baby constipation, sore, cracked nipples, lactating...? How many non-parents would really give a rip about that conversation while other parents will rejoice with you when you tell them that baby had his first poop in over a week? Or that toddler went pee in the potty for the first time?

What sparked this little blurb? Aren went pee in the potty today!!!! In fact, he sat on the toilet, not the potty!!! We danced and screamed and cheered!!! Why does that have to end? The simple things becoming a party? Why can't I have an entourage of people watching me pee in the potty and cheering when I am done? When do my bladder and bowel fuctions cease to become news? I am sure I will be cheering and dancing (well, maybe not dancing) when I am 90 years old and making it to the bathroom too and, having worked in a care home I do happen to know that your bladder and bowel functions do become news worthy! In fact, sometimes they are so news worthy you get them put in a book!

So, congratulations, Son, for your accomplishment this evening. May it be the first of many! May I be able to walk past the diaper aisle and dance with glee for not having to purchase them any more; may I be able to snicker secretly at all the moms and dads who still have to drag a diaper bag around and think to myself, "I am SO over THAT!" and, knowing me, I will probably also secretly yearn for another small, cute little butt to wipe, powder and diaper...ah, the joy of grandkids...I will fulfill my desires and send them home when I am sick of it...(evil laughter echoes throughout blog world...)

Edited for clarification...I really, really do NOT want an entourage watching me pee or cheering for me...whatever possessed me to even think that....Oi!

No comments: