Friday, September 23, 2005

Never Take For Granted...

Never take for granted that things are going to work out perfectly just because that is how you think it should be. A young girl that I know, in fact she used to be Billy's girlfriend, got pregnant, married her boyfriend and was due a week or so ago expecting a picture perfect life for her new, young family. Yesterday she went to the hospital as she was having pains; they did a stress test on her and sent her home. While at home later in the night, she was still feeling terrible and called her mom to see what they should do. They decided to go to the hospital and get things checked out again...another stress test proved that the baby's heart rate had dropped to 60 (all my kids were at about 142), an emergency c-section later and this poor baby was barely clinging to life, in fact, he had no heart rate at all at birth. They worked hard and revived him. He had to be hooked up to machines to get him breathing and he wasn't a small baby...9 lbs 3 oz. He was rushed to Saskatoon, with mom only having been able to see him for a minute, and stabilized, meaning he was breathing with the machine instead of it breathing for him. He was even responding to his dad's voice a bit and things looked up. Then, this morning, the dear baby had seizures. I can't imagine watching a child having a seizure, especially a newborn one. It was hard enough when I was working in the nursing home and one of our patients was having a seizure. The mere thought of it fills me with shivers and leaves me feeling sick and empty.

No one knows why this baby seized or had such terrible complications prior to birth and right now no one knows what his life will be like but I do know that we have a God who can heal him, if that is his plan. Sometimes things happen for reasons outside our scope of reasoning and we never fully understand why or we see part of the picture a little later in life. I also believe that we can plead with God on behalf of this young life. I believe that our prayers can change His mind if He so lets it and if our walk with Him is in order (worded a bit wrong but I think you understand what I mean).

I am using this space right now to beg each and every one of you to pray for little Nicholas and his mom, dad and extended family. They are having such a hard time right now. If you believe in God, believe in something but don't really know yet what He is, heck even if you don't believe at all, a prayer is still a prayer and He hears you whether you think He's real or not. Please, please remember these guys in our prayers.

Update: I just finished reading some of the blogs I read daily and my friend Dixie wrote a little something about this as well. Take a look here.
I know I find it hard thinking about little Nicholas and his mom and dad. I have so many connections to them. His mom used to spend so much time at our house or talking to us on the phone. I used to work with her husband, 2 of his sisters and his mom and I am friends with her mom, aunties and uncles and know a lot of her extended family through church.

1 comment:

tanby said...

my prayers are with the family and the friends of this little boy. i hope everyone envolved is trying to stay strong and he can pull through this and live a long, strong, healthy life. my thoughts are with you all
T.